|2/21/2013 10:08:00 AM|
CHISAGO LAKES AREA SCHOOLS - BOARD MINUTES OF JANUARY 23, 2013
(February 21, 2013)
BOARD OF EDUCATION
Chisago Lakes Area Schools
Chisago and Washington Counties
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Members Present: Mark Leigh; Thomas Lawlor; Danielle Strenke; Lori Berg; Brenda Carlson; Jerry Vitalis; Molly Sandstrom (Student Rep); Michael McLoughlin, Superintendent and Heide Miller, Director of Business Services.
Members Absent: None.
Visitors: Robert Meyer, Jeff Norton, Michelle and John Holcomb, John Whitacre, Jason Riebe, Jodi Otte, Karen Manske, Joe Thimm, Brenda Schell, Dave Ertl, Sara Johnson, Sarah Schmidt, Carmen Woeltke, Colleen Cavanaugh, David Hinsch, Cory Spencer, Becky Tollberg, Elizabeth Huselid, Mary Lueth, Diane Schmidt, Darla Fehlandt, Avery Bird, Terri Ristow, Alison Johnson, Jessica Mohler, Kathy King, Sherry Holt, Pam Campbell, Missy Smith, Beth Branham, Melissa Kappes, Sarah Meissner and Joy Peck.
1. The Regular Meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m. and began with the Pledge of Allegiance.
2. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Lawlor and carried unanimously to accept the Revised Agenda.
3. Motion by Lawlor, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve the minutes of the school board meeting of January 15, 2013.
4. Open Forum: Michelle & John Holcomb spoke with regard to school safety issues & policies. Colleen Cavanaugh spoke with regard to All Day Every Day Kindergarten, budget cuts and class sizes. Kathy King spoke regarding ADED Kndg, class sizes, a referendum, the economy and taxes.
5. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Lawlor and carried unanimously to approve the second reading of Policy 502 – “Search of Student Lockers, Desks, Personal Possessions and Student’s Person” with revision as presented.
6. ALL DAY EVERY DAY Kindergarten options and offerings were discussed. ADED Kndg is not fully funded by the State. No motion was made at this meeting; therefore the kindergarten programs will be kept as is for now. Further discussion may be held at the February 12th meeting regarding a possible offering of all day - three days/week (Tuesday/ Wednesday/ Thursday) for Kndg at Taylors Falls.
7. A draft of budget reductions were presented by Heide Miller, Director of Business Services. The districtwide reductions of $200,000 in capital outlay and $26,000 in savings from Middle School sports were taken off the individual building amounts, leaving $284,000 to be divided between the sites. The Board will continue to refine the reductions and final approval will occur in March.
8. The topic of the Fall 2013 Referendum was discussed, reviewing suggested referendum items, “wish list”, and amounts that would be needed.
9. Member Vitalis introduced the following Resolution of School Board Supporting District Application to MN State High School League Foundation (Chisago Lakes High School):
Whereas, the MN State High School League Foundation was formed to provide support for Minnesota’s high school youth to participate in athletics and fine arts;
Whereas, the District 2144 School Board recognizes the value of students participation in extracurricular activities; and Whereas, the MSHSL Foundation is offering grants and funding to assist school districts in recognizing, promoting and funding extracurricular participation by high school students in athletic and fine arts programs. Therefore, be it resolved that the Chisago Lakes School Board supports the District’s application to the MN State High School League Foundation for a grant for the professional development of activities’ directors/coaches/advisors/directors.
Motion was seconded by Berg and upon roll call vote the following voted in favor thereof: Vitalis, Berg, Leigh, Carlson, Strenke and Lawlor; and the following voted against: none; Whereas the Resolution was unanimously approved.
10. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Lawlor and carried unanimously to approve the medical leave of absence request from Elisa Kamppi, Lakeside Para from January 25, 2013 to approximately February 18, 2013.
11. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Lawlor and carried unanimously to approve the medical leave of absence request from Angela Narducci Sundt, High School Counselor from January 24, 2013 until recovery (up to 6 weeks) in accordance with the Master Agreement.
12. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Lawlor and carried unanimously to approve the child care leave of absence request from Abby MacIver, Middle School Instructor from approximately March 15, 2013 until April 30, 2013 in accordance with the Master Agreement.
13. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Lawlor and carried unanimously to approve the retirement of Shelley Anderson, Transportation Secretary effective June 10, 2013.
14. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Lawlor and carried unanimously to approve contracts as follows: Long term sub contract for Kay Olson-Rabel at the Middle School from January 17, 2013 through approximately February 28, 2013; and Susan Brown, TF Special Ed Para temp position/schedule change 1-2-2013 B-G+L3 6.5 hrs/day.
15. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Lawlor and carried unanimously to approve the transportation contract(s) for the 2012-13 school year for the following: Nancy Schwabe.
16. Motion by Strenke, seconded by Lawlor and carried unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 8:50 p.m.
Danielle Strenke, Clerk
Mark Leigh, Chair
(Minutes of School Board Meeting January 23, 2013; website: www.chisagolakes.k12.mn.us)
This document is available in the following formats upon request: Braille, Large Print, Audio Cassette Tape, and Computer Disk. Please call 651-213-2011 for more information or to request a copy.
Article Comment Submission Form