|4/25/2013 1:04:00 PM|
BOARD OF EDUCATION
Chisago Lakes Area Schools, MINUTES - Thursday, March 21, 2013
(April 25, 2013)
Independent School District #2144
Chisago and Washington Counties
Members Present: Mark Leigh; Thomas Lawlor; Danielle Strenke; Lori Berg; Brenda Carlson; Jerry Vitalis; Molly Sandstrom (Student Rep); Michael McLoughlin, Superintendent and Heide Miller, Director of Business Services.
Members Absent: None.
Visitors: Joe Thimm, Jeff Norton, Brenda Schell, Jeff Lindeman, Robert Meyer, Kathy King, Dave Ertl, Debra Zollinger, Dylan Zollinger, Sherry Holt, Liz Valleen, Melissa Rambow, Carrie Hoffman, Sarah Schmidt, Rich Frankson, JoAnn Frankson, Beth Branham, Mary Lueth, Brenda Schell, Neil Fletcher, Pat Eichten, Becky Wille, Nikki Fetsch, Erin Madden, Sara Johnson, Jodi Otte and Joy Peck.
1. The Regular Meeting was called to order at 6:33 p.m. and began with the Pledge of Allegiance.
2. Motion by Berg, seconded by Lawlor and carried unanimously to accept the Revised Agenda.
3. Since Chisago Lakes Schools is celebrating “School Board Recognition” this week, Supt. McLoughlin thanked the Board Members for their service and dedication.
4. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Lawlor and carried unanimously to approve the minutes of the school board meetings of February 12, February 20, February 21 and February 27, 2013.
5. Pat Eichten spoke during Open Forum with regard to LARA and some improvements that LARA would like to make on the school fields.
6. Motion by Lawlor, seconded by Vitalis and carried unanimously to approve the accounts payable items as follows: hand payables-general fund $33,355.47; one investment (dated 2-28-2013 Central Bank-CD yield .25% purchased $500,000.00 due 8/22/2013); computer payables dated 2-22-2013 for check numbers 105873 through 105983 in the amount of $205,100.57; and computer payables dated 3-15-2013 for check numbers 105984 through 106244 in the amount of $727,210.27.
7. Sherry Holt, Liz Valleen and Melissa Rambow with The Taylors Falls Parents For Education (TFPFE) presented to the Board regarding what they have been doing at and for the Taylors Falls Elementary School.
8. Brenda Schell, Primary School Principal, and Instructors Mary Lueth and Beth Branham, presented information to the Board regarding happenings, student scores and the Kindle initiative at Primary School.
9. Sarah Schmidt, Director of Curriculum and Communications; Dave Ertl, High School Principal; and Jodi Otte, Middle School Principal presented information regarding secondary electives.
10. Miscellaneous communication items were reviewed: Minutes of the TFPFE organization for February 11, 2013; SCRED Minutes of March 12, 2013; and Lakeside Parent/Teacher Conference information.
11. Student Enrollment: There were 3346 students grades K-12 as of March 5, 2013.
12. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Strenke and carried unanimously to approve the list of budget reductions for 2013-2014 as presented this date of March 21, 2013. The data will be on the website under the “Superintendent’s” page (budget right-sizing).
13. Rich Frankson presented information to the board on the $1000 Walmart donation for raised bed gardens to be planted with Heirloom seeds at Taylors Falls Elementary this spring/summer.
14. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to accept the donations as follows: $1,000 donation to TF for outdoor classroom and raised bed gardens (through Rich Frankson/Girl Scouts/Walmart); 600 plants donated to the Middle School from the National Wildlife Federation for raised flower beds and landscaping around the outdoor classroom; $1,000 donation from Chisago City Fire Department for Wolf Ridge Scholarships; $320 donation from Center City Fire for Wolf Ridge Scholarships; and $300 donation from Lindstrom Fire Department (being used to purchase an Audiometer for the nurses to use – especially in preschool screening).
15. Member Vitalis introduced the following Resolution and moved its adoption:
RESOLUTION RELATING TO THE TERMINATION AND NON-RENEWAL OF THE TEACHING CONTRACT OF A PROBATIONARY INSTRUCTOR.
WHEREAS, Jennifer Purdy is a probationary instructor in Independent School District No. 2144,
BE IT RESOLVED, by the School Board of Independent School District No. 2144 that pursuant to Minnesota Statute 122A.40, subdivision. 5, that the teaching contract of Jennifer Purdy, a probationary instructor in Independent School District No. 2144, is hereby terminated at the close of the current 2012-2013 school year and is not renewed for the 2013-2014 school year due to her status as a probationary instructor.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that written notice to be sent to the instructor has been reviewed and approved by the Board and that it be signed by the Board Chair or Clerk and served upon the instructor notifying said instructor of the termination and non-renewal of her contract as provided by law.
The motion for the adoption of the foregoing resolution was duly seconded by Berg and upon vote being taken thereon, the following voted in favor thereof: Vitalis, Berg, Leigh, Carlson, Strenke and Lawlor; and the following voted against the same: none; Whereupon said resolution was declared duly adopted.
16. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve the Health & Safety Onsite Management Services with Resource Training & Solutions for Fiscal Year 2014 in the amount of $13,000.00.
17. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve the Health & Safety Management Assistance Services with Resource Training & Solutions for Fiscal Year 2014 in the amount of $2,818.62.
18. There were no Community Ed actions.
19. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve the termination of Alicia DeNio, Pathway to Change Paraprofessional effective at the end of the day February 13, 2013.
20. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve the retirement/resignation of Cheryl Haag, Kids Club para effective June 6, 2013.
21. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve the medical leave of absence request by Catherine Trelstad, Lakeside Kitchen Helper beginning March 18, 2013 until further notice.
22. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve the child care leave of absence for Grace Jacobson, paraprofessional, for the entire 2013-2014 school year.
23. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve the child care leave of absence for Ashley Jamros, High School Instructor, from approximately May 8, 2013 through the end of the 2012-13 school year in accordance with the Master Agreement.
24. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve the Agreement between Chisago Lakes ISD #2144 and Darlene Peltier, Technology System Support Specialist beginning February 25, 2013.
25. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve the Agreement between Chisago Lakes ISD #2144 and Joseph Thimm, Superintendent beginning July 1, 2013 for 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16.
26. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve contracts as follows: Robert Zemlin, Lakeside Instructor from 2-12-2013 through 6-7-2013; Molly Perry, KC Ass’t Program Supv and Program Supv (hours change effective 2-11-2013); Carrie Johnson, Food Svc Secy/Bookkeeper, position, bldg. and hours change as of 2/19/2013 B-I+L2 6.5 hrs/day up to 195 days; Susan Racine, temporary Special Ed Para at TF from 2-14-2013 through 6-6-2013 (long term para sub) 6.5 hrs/day approx. 69 days; Kathie Mollner, HS Kitchen Helper – change in hours 10-9-2012 4.25 hrs/day; Long Term SubTeacher Contract for Diane Spychalla from March 18, 2013 through approximately April 30, 2013; Margaret Cull, MS Kitchen Helper (change in building effective 3-18-2013) 4.75 hrs/day; COACHING: Jeff Saueressig, MS Boys & Girls Track, VII-6 $2,315.00; Herb Jangor, Assistant Golf Coach, VII-0 $2,195.00; and Manuel “Manny” Lopez, Ass’t. Track Coach IV-1 $3,238.00.
27. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve the transportation contracts for the 2012-13 school year for the following: Bruce/Jillian Olson (two students-two schools).
28. Supt. McLoughlin discussed the hiring process to replace Joe Thimm’s position as Taylors Falls Principal.
29. Supt. McLoughlin shared “good news” around the district.
30. Supt. McLoughlin apprised the Board that the Q-Comp Plan required revision regarding Peer Coaching.
31. Motion by Lawlor, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 9:10 p.m.
Danielle Strenke, Clerk
Mark Leigh, Chair
(Minutes of School Board Meeting March 21, 2013; website: www.chisagolakes.k12.mn.us)
This document is available in the following formats upon request: Braille, Large Print, Audio Cassette Tape, and Computer Disk. Please call 651-213-2011 for more information or to request a copy.
Article Comment Submission Form