|2/21/2020 12:04:00 PM|
BOARD OF EDUCATION -
Chisago Lakes Schools
Chisago City, MN 55013: MINUTES
Thursday, January 9, 2020
(February 13, 2020)
Present: Mark Leigh, Jerry Vitalis, Danielle Strenke, Lori Berg, Brenda Carlson, Melissa Donovan, Superintendent Jennissen.
Not Present: None
Visitors: Jodi Davis, Darci Peckman-Krueger, Doug Hasler, Jeff Norton, Ian Lexvold, jeff Lindeman, Mike Sandell, John Whitacre, Alicia DeNio, Dave Ertl
1. The meeting was called to order at 6:30 PM and began with the Pledge of Allgiance.
2. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried for the all School Board Officers remain in the current positions for the 2020 year
3. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried to approve the minutes from the December 12, 2019 school board meeting.
4. There were no Open forum participants.
5. Anne Nelson reported that the Jr. Career Fair was a success and is helpful to students. SnoWeek is coming up with fun activities planned.
6. Doug Hasler, Director of Business Services gave the January financial update.
7. Enrollment at Chisago Lakes Schools, ISD #2144 on January 7, 2020 was 3404.
8. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Donovan and carried to approve the items on the Consent Agenda as follows:
Donations to Taylors Falls, $1,500.00 from the TF foundation for families in need and a Smart Board for Cheryl Moberg’s classroom and $500.00 from Lakes Region EMS for families in need at TF;
Chisago City Fire Relief donated $500.00 to the Mentor Program at ISD #2144;
LARA donated $800.00 to the HS volleyball program.
Claims and Accounts:
The first set of computer payables dated December 13, 2019 for check number 135258 through 135460 in the amount of $466,801.32. The second set of computer payables dated December 27, 2019 for check number 135461 in the amount of $803,725.38. Hand payables in the amount of $15,471.19. 17 Bond detail dated Jan. 6, 2020 for check number 1436 through 1442 in the amount of $25,579.69.
School Board Committee Assignments will remain the same as last year with Melissa Donovan serving on the SEE committee in place of Jerry Vitalis.
Anderson, Squires & Waldspurger was appointed legal counsel and other firms as needed when deemed appropriate by the superintendent.
The official depositories recommended for the 2019-2020 school year are: MidWestOne, Chisago City, Lake Area Bank, Lindstrom; US Bank, Chisago City; Wells Fargo Bank, MN; Minnesota School District Liquid Asset Fund Plus, Minneapolis; Royal Credit Union, St. Croix Falls, WI; Security State Bank of Marine; Bremer Bank and any additional depositories through the year to accommodate the investment portfolio of the school district.
The Official Newspaper for the 2019-2020 school year will be the Chisago County PRESS as in the years past.
Authorization to Sign Tuition Agreements:
Under M.S. §123B. 52, subd 2, authority to sign contracts should be given to the Superintendent and/or Director of Business Services up to the bid threshold of $25,000 and also to sign contracts once the board has approved them after quotations or sealed bids.
District Credit Cards:
Board action needs to be taken to grant authorization for Dean Jennissen, Superintendent and Doug Hasler, Director of Business Services to utilize the school district’s credit cards as needed.
2020 Mileage Rate:
IRS mileage rate for 2020 has been established at 57.5 cents per mile. ISD #2144 needs to adjust our rate to match the IRS reimbursement rate.
Nancy Carlson, Attendance Clerk at the HS, effective January 31, 2020;
Cindy Kaske, Para at Lakeside, effective January 2, 2020;
Adreanna Gjerning, Para at Lakeside, effective January 17, 2020;
Blake Heim, custodian at Lakeside, effective December 31, 2019;
Non Certified Contracts:
Tracy Kaiser, Enrichment Facilitator for ISD #2144 for 2019-1020, $15.00/hr up to 22 hrs/wk;
Jennifer Bjerklien, Kitchen helper at the MS commencing December 18, 2019, 4.0 hrs/day up to 174 days, KH, step E $14.21/hr;
Rochelle Burt, SPED para at Lakeside commencing January 3, 2020; 5.75 hrs/day up to 172 days, Sched A, step A;
Alyssa Chowdhury, GO WILD Advisor at the HS for 2019-2020, $500.00;
Jennifer Hegstad, GO WILD Advisor at the HS for 2019-2020, $500.00;
Shawn Frederixon, Wrestling Head Coach for 2019-2020, $5848.00, I-10;
Pamela Gladitsch, MS Yearbook Advisor for 2019-2020, $1767.00, IX-1;
Julie Mellum, FFA Advisor for 2019-2020, $3451.00, V-6;
Jay Schueller, Set Construction for 2019-2020, $2544.00, VII-1;
Tyler Stettler, Basketball Boys MS for 2019-2020, $3012.00, VI-4;
Jacquie Undem, Vocal Director at MS for 2019-2020, $1927.00, IX-9;
Edward Wakefield, Asst Gymnastics for 2019-2020, $2238.50, 50% of III-10;
Lindsey Wilson, Math League Advisor for 2019-2020, $2684.00, VII-8;
Three students from Chisago City to St. Peter’s School, Forest Lake;
One student from Shafer to Hill-Murray School, Maplewood;
Two students from Chisago City to St. Peter’s School, Forest Lake;
9. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Donovan and carried to approve the Administrative Variance as presented for Michelle Kleist in the Community Education/Communications Director position.
10. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Donovan and carried to approve the 2019-2020, 2020-2021 contract for Michelle Kleist, Director of Community Education / Communications Director as presented.
11. There was no Old Business to discuss.
12. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Carlson and carried to approve the three Change Orders as presented. Boser #22, Donlar #27 and Frattalone #1.
13. Motion nby Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried to approve the placement of the bid ad in the PRESS for the Fire Sprinkler/Boiler work at Taylors Falls.
14. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Carlson and carried to proceed with Morris Leatherman as the Levy Consultant.
15. Member Vitalis introduced the Reduction Resolution:
RESOLUTION DIRECTING THE
ADMINSTRATION TO MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR REDUCTIONS IN PROGRAMS AND POSITIONS AND REASONS THEREFORE
WHEREAS, the financial condition of the school district dictates that the School Board must reduce expenditures immediately, and
WHEREAS, this reduction in expenditure must include discontinuance of positions and discontinuance or curtailment of programs, and
WHEREAS, a determination must be made as to which teacher’s contracts must be terminated and not renewed and which teachers may be placed on un-requested leave of absence without pay or fringe benefits in effecting discontinuance of positions,
BE IT RESOLVED, by the School Board of Independent School District No. 2144, as follows:
That the School Board hereby directs the Superintendent of Schools and the Administration to consider the discontinuance of programs or positions to effectuate economies in the school district and reduce expenditures, make recommendations to the School Board for the discontinuance of programs curtailment of programs, discontinuance of positions or curtailment of positions.
Resolution was duly seconded by Donovan to approve the foregoing resolution regarding reductions in programs and positions and upon a roll call vote being taken thereon, the following voted in favor thereof: Leigh, Berg, Carlson, Donovan, Strenke, Vitalis and the following voted against the same: none Whereupon said Resolution was declared duly passed and adopted.
16. Superintendent Update: reminder that the MSBA Leadership Conference is next Thursday and Friday. Big thank you to Mr. Bob Meyer for all his years of dedication to our school district. He is retiring at the end of the month.
17. Motion by Melissa Donovan, seconded by Berg and carried to close the Regular School Board meeting and open the closed session to discuss a personnel issue.
18. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Donovan and carried to close the Closed Session.
19. Motion by Berg, seconded by Vitalis and carried to re-open the Open Session.
20. Motion by vitalis, seconded by Donovan and carried to terminate the employment of the employee in question.
21. Motion by Berg, seconded by Carlson and carried to adjourn the meeting at 7:55 p.m.
Article Comment Submission Form