September 21, 2023 at 1:14 p.m.
CITY OF TAYLORS FALLS: RESOLUTION 2023-09-01
(September 21, 2023)
COUNTY OF CHISAGO, STATE OF MINNESOTA
RESOLUTION ORDAINING AN AMENDMENT TO CITY OF TAYLORS FALLS CODE OF ORDINANCES REVISING THE DEFINITION OF “CANNABINOID PRODUCT RETAIL ESTABLISHMENT WITHIN CHAPTER 3, SECTION 311 CANNABINOID PRODUCT RETAIL LICENSE ORDINANCE NO. 2023-08-00
WHEREAS, Taylors Falls is a statutory city operating under and governed by the provisions of Minn. Stat. Chapter 412.
WHEREAS, Minn. Stat. § 462, authorizes a city to adopt zoning and regulate land uses for the health, safety, and welfare of the public.
WHEREAS, the Minnesota Legislature has adopted Minn. Stat. § 151.72 allowing the sale of certain cannabinoid products.
WHEREAS, cannabinoid products are a state-regulated substance and the City of Taylors Falls wants to protect the health, safety, and welfare of people within City limits.
WHEREAS, regulating cannabinoid retailers will serve to create a safe environment while giving space for economic development.
Findings of Fact:
1. Cannabinoid products are a state-regulated substance, and the City of Taylors Falls wants to protect the health, safety, and welfare of people within City limits. Regulating cannabinoid retailers will serve to create a safe environment while giving space for economic development.
2. Cannabinoid products are limited to low-potency THC products than can be ingested or applied externally.
3. The current Cannabinoid Product Retail License Ordinance prohibits on-site consumption of cannabinoid products. Limiting cannabinoid sales to retail establishments and prohibiting cannabinoid product sales in hotels, motels, residences, restaurants, and bars would be consistent with prohibiting the on-site consumption.
4. The proposed definition of “Cannabinoid Product Retail Establishment” is consistent with the Comprehensive Plan by condensing a variety of commercial uses in the Downtown District.
5. Taylors Falls City Code, Chapter 3, Section 311- Cannabinoid Product Retail Licensing Ordinance
- Defining cannabinoid-related activities and products is critical for planning and zoning administration. The definitions provide city staff and the public guidance on defining what is included in regulations.
- The modification of the definition of “Cannabinoid Product Retail Establishment” is not anticipated to be incompatible with, or detrimental to, other uses and properties within and adjacent to Downtown.
NOW, THEREFORE, THE TAYLORS FALLS CITY COUNCIL HEREBY ORDAINS THAT THE FOLLOWING SECTIONS OF THE TAYLORS FALLS CITY CODE SHALL BE AMENDED AS FOLLOWS:
Underlined = Add Text
Normal = Existing Text
“Cannabinoid product retail establishment” means a business that sells cannabinoid products, including incidental sales, where retail functions as the primary use of a property. Locations that do not qualify are: residences, hotels, motels, and where people stay overnight.
/s/ Brandon Weiberg