October 5, 2017 at 10:14 a.m.
After graduating from Central High School in Minneapolis, he served in the 12th Armored Div. and subsequently in the European Theatre in the 4th Armored Division and subsequently in the European Theatre in the 4th Armored Division of Patton’s 3rd army.
He received his Bachelor of Architecture from the University of Minnnesota. Much of his architectural career was with the Minnesota firm of Magney and Setter that became Setter Leach and Lindblom, where he eventually became vice president of architecture and partner. Highlights of his career were the design and construction of several medical clinics in Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Although trained exclusively in contemporary design, Bill had a lifelong interest in historic buildings, which was a “no-no” in 1950’s architectural circles.
For his dedicated service, writings, and lectures on architecture and preservation he was elected to the America Institute of Architecture’s College of Fellows. He served 12 years on the Minneapolis Preservation Commission. He continued his advocacy of history and historic preservation long into retirement living in his beloved St. Croix Valley and his 1856 home in the historic neighborhood of Angel’s Hill in Taylors Falls. Serving on the Taylors Falls Heritage Preservation Commission, he was a volunteer site manager for the Minnesota Historical Society’s Folsum Home Museum. Bill was an active member of several historical societies.
He is preceded in death by father, Cecil James Scott; mother, Florence Wilcox Scott; brother Charles James Scott; sister-in-law Marion Scott; and longtime partner and friend, Daryl Wangen. He is survived by five nephews, one niece, and numerous grand and great-grand nieces and nephews.
Mass of Christian Burial 11a.m. Friday, October 6, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Taylors Falls, MN. Burial at Kahbakong Cemetery in Taylors Falls, MN. Arrangements by Grandstrand Funeral Home in Lindstrom, MN.
Commenting has been disabled for this item.