February 4, 2026 at 2:47 p.m.
The North Branch City Council engaged in a lengthy discussion last week on possible revisions to the city cannabis retail ordinance. The topic was accredited to Council member Robert Canada and subcommittee review. Matthew Hill, city administrator, said the added scrutiny stems from the city’s earlier discussion about a location for a cannabis retailer, on Isanti Trail. Referencing a state law that requires consideration of one cannabis site for a city up to 12,500 population, council noted North Branch could hit 12,501 in a relatively short timespan, possibly generating a second request to sanction a chosen location for cannabis sales. The actual license is issued by the State of Minnesota.
Council member Canada stated he “totally respects” that cannabis adult use is “here to stay” under Minnesota laws. He just wants the city to give some extra consideration to its “standards” guarding public safety.
His fellow councilmembers, however, pointed out the security requirements the state imposes on these businesses are extensive. No minors are allowed admittance. Council member Jeff Goulet declared any abuses Canada might be fretting about will happen “outside” of any retail site. The locations are highly regulated and “quite controlled,” Goulet noted.
Council member Patrick Meacham commented it “seems like we are picking on one vice.” He gave the example of dangers to the public inherent in alcohol consumption as equal or worse. He might support looking at setbacks from a location where persons are pursuing recovery and are particularly vulnerable, but liquor stores do not have similar restrictions in city code.
Canada, citing a background in law enforcement, said cannabis has a connection to more serious drug use and deserves to be treated differently from liquor. Council member Goulet disputed cannabis as a “gateway” substance saying he “struggles with the perception.”
The discussion did not arrive at a conclusive approach on how to tighten the city cannabis zoning. Staff and Council member Canada agreed they will flesh out ideas about limiting hours of operation and other details and bring something back, no sooner than 30 days from last week’s meeting. Canada stated he welcomed the conversation and he mainly wanted to have additional input from council, as he felt the city ordinance was adopted in haste and not well thought out.
In business items:
Council meetings have been changed from Tuesday, to the second and fourth Wednesday nights. Meetings will start at 6 p.m.
A Conditional Use Permit requested by Verizon to locate a 180 foot cellphone tower was approved. The landowners are Earl and Deanna Halley and the site is in a an area surrounded by farm fields, off 400th. (Graphic to right)
The Board of Appeal and Equalization will convene April 16 starting at 6 p.m. at city hall. Council was open to having staff look into an offer for the county to be responsible for holding this property valuation review at the Government Center, possibly next year.
The final plan for financing equipment needs will be drafted and brought back for approval. The council looked into various structures in order to pay for heavy equipment. The least impactful approach was developed by the subcommittee working with Sharon Wright, finance director. Council consensus was to borrow $3 million approximately with upfront payments heavy on interest only, which lessens the 2027 levy impacts and length of the debt will be 15 or 20 years. Council will vote on a financing package at an upcoming meeting.
In the annual police department activity reports, Chief Dan Meyer said statistics for the school resource officer hours/incidents appear to have increased but it is due to the SRO going from part time to full time. Also, the ATV sticker system is working well and there have been five golf cart permits issued since the carts were authorized recently. To operate an ATV in North Branch the city asks that you prove you have insurance and youth who may have access to the unit have been trained —and you get a sticker to affix to the ATV.
Staff and insurance representatives are looking into a fire at the building housing five diesel generators. The incident was reported Sunday night Jan 25.
The generators are fired up when requested by the Southern Minnesota Municipal Power Agency grid. Energy demands have been stretched with recent storm activity damaging power systems in other parts of the nation coupled with colder than usual temps. SMMPA on its website says it has 142 megawatts of diesel and dual-fuel generation backup.
The North Branch generators were retained from when the city had its own electric and water company. ECE purchased the city’s former electric distribution assets.
Administrator Hill said an inspection will be scheduled to help develop bids to fix the damages, and he will report back on the extent of building and generator repairs.




Comments:
Commenting has been disabled for this item.